Galway United 2 Derry City 0

Kenny Shiels saw his side slide to a fourth consecutive defeat last night, exiting the EA Sports Cup in Eamon Deacy Park last night.  The City manager must be wondering what his side must do to catch a break at the moment, with Shane Keegan’s side advancing to the last eight.

Shiels promised to ring the changes and six new starters came into the City lineup.  Eric Grimes replaced Doherty in goals but the back four remained intact from Friday’s game against Finn Harps. In the midfield, Aaron McEneff was the only survivor as Monaghan, Timlin and Doherty were handed starts.  Cathal Farren was given his first team debut, whilst Nathan Boyle led the line for the visitors.

Shane Keegan also opted to freshen up his side, with 8 changes from the side that drew with St Pats last weekend.  The Tribesmen are at the bottom of the SEE Airtricity Premier Division, but the new boss had spoken about using the EA Sports Ci[ as a springboard for their season.

The visitors started the brighter, with Doherty in particular enjoying some joy down the right flank.  Aaron Barry had City’s first effort and the stand in skipper had his shot and header blocked by the Galway defence.  The surface was not helping either side play much football and City sturggled to get their passing game moving on the deck.  Boyle had the best chance for the visitors when he spun away from Sinnott but fired high and wide over the top of Nugent’s goal.

The home side hit the front just before the half hour mark with Devaney poking home from a Kineen corner.  City will be disappointed at their inability to defend the low ball into the box and the Galway forward gleefully prodded home from 4 yards out.

City missed a glorious opportunity five minutes into the second half when a long ball found Farren, but the bounce wasn’t kind to the youngster and Sinnott got back to clear.  City moved Timlin to the right flank and began to create opportunity, the best a low ball which Monaghan headed wide.  A crashing shot from distance was pushed away by Nugent as City strove to get back on level terms.  Another high ball found Boyle but once again the ball bounced high and the keeper was able to come out and smother.

Galway ensured their place in the last eight was City failed to clear effectively and gave Galway a throw in beside the City penalty area.  It eventually broke to Faherty who attempted a volley, the ball hitting the ground and spinning up and over Grimes to make it two nil to the home side.